Tricks to mimimise bruising following dermal fillers…
Bruising can be one of the biggest concerns patients have about receiving dermal filler treatments. An experienced injector knows where the big vessels are located, however the face is very vascular and it is sometimes impossible to avoid every single branch of a blood vessel when treating. A bruise is a bruise – it will go away, usually after 7-10 days. And the good news is, there are a number of things you can do before and after your treatment to help to lessen or prevent the severity of bruising:
1) Avoid blood thinning vitamin supplements for a week prior to your appointment: Omega3 oils, Ginseng, Vitamin E, Saint John’s Wart –these supplements act as blood thinners. Blood that is less likely to clot is more likely to spill out of a capillary (your tiniest blood vessels) and cause a bruise.
2) Avoid drinking alcohol for 2-3 days before and after your appointment. Alcohol has a negative effect on blood clotting and inhibits vitamin C absorption. So drinking is a double negative as vitamin C has a vital role in promoting capillary strength and collagen growth, which assists the skin to heal at the injection site.
3) Use Arnica Montana: A number of studies have indicated that Arnica reduces swelling and pain, which in turn helps reduce bruising. Arnica can be applied topically or taken orally for a few days before your treatment. Arnica is a homeopathic remedy that can be found in health food stores.
4) Skip the workout: Keep exercise low-key for two days after your treatment. Boosting your heart rate over 100 beats per minute in the few days following your treatment can increase swelling and bruising.
5) Ice, ice, ice! I advise patients (if it is possible) to ice the treated area for 10 minutes on, and 10 minutes off, for 30-60 minutes’ post treatment and then as required in the days following treatment. You must take pauses in the icing process so as not to over-freeze the blood vessels in the treated area.
6) Cover it up: A good concealer will camouflage the appearance of a bruise during the time it takes to heal. You can also try applying a corrective green tint before your concealer – the green will counteract the redness in the bruise and make it easier to cover with concealer or foundation. Apply gently to avoid hindering the healing process.
Because some bruising is possible even with the very best care, please always schedule your appointments one to two weeks before a special event. And always remember that bruising always resolves – a bruise is a bruise – it will go away and you will be left to enjoy the beautiful effects of your dermal filler treatment!
Aesthetic Nurse Specialist